Who is eligible?
To be eligible for a SunTrust Private Student Loan Consolidation:
The primary applicant must:
- Have attained at least a bachelor's degree from an institution of higher education which is eligible for federal student financial aid under Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended.
- Meet debt to income ratio requirements and credit standards.
- Have a permanent residency address that is NOT in Iowa or Wisconsin.
Both applicants, if applicable, must be:
- U.S. citizens or permanent residents.
- The legal age of majority at the time of the loan application. The legal age for entering contracts is 18 years of age in every state except Alabama (19 years old), Nebraska (19 years old, for wards of the state), and Mississippi and Puerto Rico (21 years old).
Do you need a cosigner?
- A cosigner is not always required. However, some recent graduates, especially those without a substantial credit history, may need a creditworthy cosigner to qualify. With the cosigner release option, the cosigner can potentially be released later.1
- SunTrust makes applying with a cosigner easy! A cosigner can be invited from within the application with an EasyInviteSM email. This tool lets potential cosigners link right to the application.
Find answers to many Frequently Asked Questions or talk to a SunTrust representative at 866.897.9793.
1 Request for the cosigner to be released can be made after the first 48 consecutive, on-time payments (not later than ten days after the due date) of principal and interest have been made. The borrower must meet credit criteria on their own at the time of the request. The borrower must also be currently enrolled for automatic deduction of monthly payments from a bank account.
EasyInvite is a registered service mark of First Marblehead Corporation.
Certain restrictions and limitations may apply. SunTrust reserves the right to change or discontinue these programs without notice. All loan programs are subject to approval and may not be available in certain jurisdictions.